Are you ready for Valentine’s Day? NO!?!
Good thing I have come to your rescue with this amazing, crowd pleasing recipe for red velvet cupcakes! There’s still time to whip up a batch of these succulent snacks and seduce your sweetheart.
This qualifies as a go-to recipe for Red Velvet cake. They are moist, super rich in that gorgeous red color, and best of all you CAN NOT taste the dye in these! cue angels singing
And despite what certain (WRONG) areas of the country believe I know that a true red velvet cupcake must ONLY be topped with cream cheese frosting. Light, whipped, finger-lickin’ cream cheese frosting!
Go on… whatcha waiting for? Get bakin’!
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
* 2 1/2 cups flour (don't pack it down!)
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup milk (buttermilk is best but any will do)
* 1 (1 ounce) bottle Red Food Color
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. My oven takes 21 minutes… do not overbake! Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
6 ozs. softened cream cheese (no low fat BS!)
1/2 cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
Then gradually add:
4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups powdered sugar, depending on the consistency you want. If it gets too thick add a tiny amount of milk to thin it a bit.