Sharing–A Memorable Date

Tam over at Sew Dang Cute (you DO know about this amazing craft blog, right?!) is doing a little getting to know you series.  Today she blogged about one of her most memorable dates.  Everyone has one… or a dozen.  I know I do!  But there is one date that gets brought up in our house regularly. 

My husband and I were just friends for over a year before I “came to my senses” (his words) and figured out there was more between us.  But that doesn’t mean he didn’t TRY earlier than that! We would regularly grab lunch together and at one point he weaseled his way into a “real” date with me.  I put real in quotes only because it didn’t start out as an official date… somehow it went from grabbing dinner together (instead of lunch) to him picking me up… and a movie… and dropping me off at my door.  Hmmm. Sounds suspiciously like a date!

So we go out to dinner.  For anyone familiar with Boston you’ll know about the iconic John Harvard’s Brew House and restaurant in Cambridge. 

john harvards
Image credit: travellingmedinas.com

I don’t really remember what we had but I would bet an arm that Ryan ordered a burger and I am pretty sure I had a yummy salad.  The vibe was weird.  I knew he was viewing this as a date and I was not.  The food was good, though! 

Then we went to the historic Brattle Theatre and saw Frida. 

frida_ver3_xlg
Image credit: impawards.com

To this day we can’t see Frida on tv and not discuss this “date”!  It was a great movie but you could pretty much cut the tension between us with a knife.  I kept wondering if he was going to make a move!

And if that wasn’t enough to make it a date then how about getting coffee/hot chocolate after??  I was too polite to say no (after all, we WERE friends!) but it was obvious that the poor guy just wanted to make the night last longer! 

So then comes that uncomfortable moment when he walks me to my door.  Uh oh.  I knew it was coming.  Women know when a guy is about to move in for the kiss!  However, much to my future husband’s chagrin, I quickly pulled out my keys and commented on how late it was!  Ohhhh…. bummer, dude! 

Once we finally started dating (and our first kiss was the best of my life… I knew in that very moment I would marry him) I never lived that date night down.  I can’t tell you how often I had to listen to him “complain” about how I dissed him on my stoop. 

However, he got the last laugh.  A few years later he brought me back to that old apartment and proposed to me in the very spot I once rejected him.  And the rest, as they say, is history. 

ProfPics 052

Date stories just make me smile so I would love to hear some of yours!!

4 comments:

LyndaKay said...

Great story. DH & I celebrate the anniversary of our first kiss more than our wedding anniversary. That was the day we both knew we'd found "the one". And that was 40 years ago during our senior year in high school.

Chrissy said...

Such a GREAT story! My husband and I actually HATED, and I mean, HATED each other in the beginning. We worked together and just didn't know anything about one another except for what we saw on the outside. One day, we were teaching other Marines how to drive Humvees and it HIT me. That I was looking at this man in a completely different light. My friend and I were throwing a beach bash that weekend with the rest of our platoon and Romy came. That night, we talked for HOURS and he kissed me. We still laugh at the "who woulda thought". Definitely a fond memory and it's crazy how much I love that man now.

Sarah said...

I love this story- and the fact that he took you back there to propose! So sweet! :)

Tamarynn Leigh said...

That is an AWESOME story!!!! I'm still grinning about the whole thing! How fun!! Glad you "came to your senses" LOL!

Thanks so much for sharing!

XOXO
Tam