The Curse has been lifted! It had to have been the butter because my first frosting attempt with different butter was a success. But I am getting ahead of myself!
As I noted in my last post, I needed a heavier chocolate cake batter to hold the half an Oreo at the bottom of the liner. My third and final batch of these did the trick. The recipe was close to the last one I used but contained less liquid and therefore was thicker and heavier. The Oreos stayed perfectly in the bottom and sucked up some of the moisture from the batter, making them soft like the rest of the cake. Yum! These were as incredibly moist and delicious as the last batch.
The frosting is very, very sweet. It tastes strikingly like the center cream in the Oreo itself and makes a great compliment to the not-so-sweet chocolate cake. The crushed Oreos soften up in the frosting in the same way that the Oreo halves soften in the cake batter. Overall these are really fun and generally a crowd pleaser!
Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
9 Oreos, twisted in half, 7-8 more crushed
1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature butter
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (the better the powder, the better the cakes!)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place liners in the pan and place one half of an Oreo on the bottom of each cup, outside of the cookie faced down
- Cream the butter till it is smooth. Add the sugar and beat about 3 minutes until it is mixed and fluffy
- Add eggs, one at a time, making sure they are well mixed
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a bowl
- Mix the milk and vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk mixture. Dry, then half the milk, dry again, the other half of the milk, and then finishing with dry
- Mix in the crushed Oreos
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full
- Immediately turn your over down to 350 degrees!
- Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes. Mine were done at 23 minutes.
6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar
5 1/2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 crushed Oreos
- Cream the butter
- Add 1 cup of the sugar until well mixed
- Add the milk and beat well
- Add the remaining sugar
- Add the vanilla
- Stir in the crushed Oreos and frost your cupcakes!
**note** You may want to add a tiny bit more milk or more powdered sugar to get to the consistency you prefer. I added a wee bit more milk because I used vanilla bean paste instead of liquid vanilla extract.